Recipe by VeggiesByCandlelight
This recipe could easily be converted to a main meal by adding a serving of protein.
- 4 small sweet potatoes or 1 kg sweet potato
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 12 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch, segments
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 ripe figs, quartered
- 5 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (optional)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- ROAST THE SWEET POTATOES.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, halve them lengthwise, and then cut each half again similarly into 3 long wedges. Mix with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and some black pepper.
- Spread the wedges out, skin side down, on a baking sheet and cook for about 25 minutes, until soft but not mushy.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- MAKE THE BALSAMIC REDUCTION.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes, until it thickens.
- (** Be sure to remove the pan from the heat when the vinegar is still runnier than honey; it will continue to thicken as it cools. Stir in a drop of water before serving if it does become too thick to drizzle).
- TO FINISH.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on a serving platter.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the green onions and chile. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often to make sure not to burn the chile.
- Spoon the oil, onions, and chile over the sweet potatoes.
- Dot the figs among the wedges and then drizzle over the balsamic reduction.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Crumble the cheese over the top, if using.