1 hr 30 mins
This dish is easy and delicious! From Gourmet Magazine, November 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Peel sweet potatoes, then cut each lengthwise into 6 spears.
- 3Cut spears in half crosswise if desired, then arrange in 1 layer in a large (17- by 12-inch) shallow baking pan.
- 4Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then pour bacon fat through a fine-mesh sieve onto potato spears and toss with 2 spatulas to coat.
- 6Sprinkle spears with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and roast (uncovered), turning every 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender and edges are browned, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 7Transfer to a serving dish.
- 8Return bacon to cleaned skillet, then add oil and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
- 9Stir in white part of scallions and remove from heat.
- 10Stir in vinegar, water, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and pour over potato spears.
- 11Sprinkle potatoes with scallion greens and serve warm.
- 12Cooks' note: Bacon can be cooked and sweet potatoes can be cut and tossed with bacon fat (but not salt and pepper) 1 day ahead. Cool potatoes, uncovered, then chill, covered with plastic wrap. Chill bacon separately, covered. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and bring to room temperature before proceeding.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Sweet Potato Spears With Bacon Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.9
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 653.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar