Lorraine of AZ's Note:
I love soup recipes like this one. This is a creamy soup, yet no cream is present. Well, there is two tablespoons listed as an optional ingredient to give a lusterous effect, but I would omit that. It is the white potato that adds the creaminess to this soup Recipe comes from Campbell's Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth (your own homemade or canned)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons light cream (optional)
- 1Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH for 8-13 minutes or bake at 400 degrees F. for 1 hour or until they are fork tender. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out potato pulp and set aside.
- 2Heat the butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery to the saucepan and cook until they're tender. Add the broth and white potato cubes. Heat to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender. Add the maple syrup, white pepper, and reserved sweet potato.
- 3Place one-third of the broth mixture into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Repeat blending process twice more with the remaining broth mixture. Of course an immersion blender may be used instead. Return all pureed mixture to the saucepan. Add the cream, if desired. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste.
- 4NOTE: Three and three-fourths cups of mashed, drained, canned sweet potatoes may be substituted for the fresh sweet potatoes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 651.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g