Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) bagfresh Baby Spinach, thoroughly washed
- cooked crumbled bacon, for garnish
Warm Bacon Dressing
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Make the salad: peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut onions into quarters and cut each quarter into half.
- Toss the potatoes, onions, garlic, and olive oil together; place on lightly greased foil-lined 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Make the dressing: cook bacon slices in a skillet over med-high heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Stir red wine vinegar and remaining dressing ingredients into hot drippings in skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve roasted sweet potato mixture over fresh baby spinach; drizzle with Warm Bacon Dressing; garnish with crumbled bacon.
This is a delicious salad and was a nice change of pace for my family. We eat a lot of meat free meals, so I served this as a light supper. This isn't meat free, but it is light :) The flavors blended fabulously. My daughter thought the dressing was a little too vinegary, but I think that is the way it is meant to be and I liked it. If you don't want it so tart, I would try 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 olive oil. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!