Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is creamy (without any cream) and very satisfying. Try it with crushed tortilla chips on top!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 red bell peppers (roasted & jarred)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Roast sweet potatoes and onion in their skins at 375 degrees Farenheit for 1 hour.
- Wrap sweet potatoes and onion in foil and let cool for 30 minutes before handling.
- Peel the skins from the roasted vegetables.
- In a food processor pulse the roasted onion until chopped fine.
- Add sweet potato and pulse until combined with the onion.
- Turn processor on low and stream broth slowly into the vegetable mix.
- When the mix flows smoothly add the remaining ingredients to the processor and let run 30 seconds on high to combine.
- Move mixture from processor to a stovetop pot (one that you have a lid for!).
- On very low heat bring soup to a simmer stirring often.
- Once simmering place lid on pot and set to lowest heat.
- Let soup simmer for 15-20 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Serve immediately or let cool slightly.
- Soup is delicious anywhere from cold to room temperature to hot!