Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Sunday Brunch' by Betty Rosbottom
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- kosher salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 5 thick slices bacon, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onions (1 large onion, halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (plus a sprig or two for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle the dried rosemary over them.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then toss to coat evenly.
- Roast until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when done.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, cook the bacon in a large, heavy frying pan over med-low heat until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of the drippings from the frying pan; reserve the remaining drippings.
- Place the frying pan on medium to med-high heat and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan; add 1 to 2 tbsp of the reserved bacon drippingsback to the hot frying pan.
- Add the sweet potatoes and quickly saute until crisp and nicely browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Return the onion, garlic, and bacon pieces to the frying pan and stir 1 minute more.
- Season with fresh rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper.
- For a slightly richer taste, toss the mixture with the Parmesan.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs.