Recipe by Mellie M.
This is a fantastic dish that anyone can eat. It uses whole, fresh foods, and it's dairy free, gluten free, sugar free and vegan. Whenever I make it, I know everyone will love it. It's one of my all time favorite recipes!
Top Review by Georgiame
Oh my goodness - this was FANTASTIC!!! I have never made a chowder without milk and so I couldn't believe how creamy this was. I didn't have a shallot but I added about 1/4 green capscium (bell pepper) diced finely. I will be making this again VERY soon. Thanks for a good recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb frozen corn kernels (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, finely diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 russet potato
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven rack in the center and preheat the over to 425°F Oil a large roasting pan.
- Scatter the sweet potatoes in one layer in the roasting pan and drizzle with 1 TB of the oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, tossing once or twice, 15-20 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of corn kernels. In a blender, puree the remaining corn with the water until very smooth, about 2 minutes. (If the corn kernel skins refuse to break down, and they look unsightly to you, pass the mixture through a sieve.) Set aside.
- In a heavy soup pot, heat the remaining TB of oil. Cook the celery, onion, and shallots over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and thyme and cook another minute, stirring frequently. Add the broth, pureed corn, bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, and pepper to taste.
- While bringing the chowder to a boil, peel the potato, cut it inch ½ inch dice, and add it to the pot. Cover the pot and simmer until the potato is tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add the reserved corn kernels, roasted sweet potatoes, and parsley. Adjust seasonings.