1 hr 30 mins
Mellie M.'s Note:
This is a fantastic dish that anyone can eat. It uses whole, fresh foods, and it's dairy free, gluten free, sugar free and vegan. Whenever I make it, I know everyone will love it. It's one of my all time favorite recipes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb frozen corn kernels (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups celery, finely diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 russet potato
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1Set the oven rack in the center and preheat the over to 425°F Oil a large roasting pan.
- 2Scatter the sweet potatoes in one layer in the roasting pan and drizzle with 1 TB of the oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, tossing once or twice, 15-20 minutes.
- 3Reserve 1 cup of corn kernels. In a blender, puree the remaining corn with the water until very smooth, about 2 minutes. (If the corn kernel skins refuse to break down, and they look unsightly to you, pass the mixture through a sieve.) Set aside.
- 4In a heavy soup pot, heat the remaining TB of oil. Cook the celery, onion, and shallots over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and thyme and cook another minute, stirring frequently. Add the broth, pureed corn, bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, and pepper to taste.
- 5While bringing the chowder to a boil, peel the potato, cut it inch ½ inch dice, and add it to the pot. Cover the pot and simmer until the potato is tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- 6Remove the bay leaf. Add the reserved corn kernels, roasted sweet potatoes, and parsley. Adjust seasonings.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 358.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: