Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
A delicious and healthy soup. Serve with some wheat rolls and flavorful white cheese (we like Comte). If you want something a little more hearty, grill some sausages and serve on the side or in the soup - the flavors go very well together. This makes a good starter to a Thanksgiving meal, especially since potatoes and tomatoes originated in the Americas.
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1892.0 ml stock (vegetable stock is best)
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh chives, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh sage, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 473.18 ml walnuts, shelled
- Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Peel and mince half the garlic.
- Combine minced garlic, tomatoes, and 1 tbsp olive oil in a baking dish and roast at 425 F until the tomatoes are shriveled (about 30-40 minutes).
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half the long way, place cut-side down in a dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, and roast at 425 for 25 minutes (can be done with the garlic and tomatoes).
- Chop the onion, peel and chop the carrots, and chop the celery.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion, carrots, and celery until the onion turns translucent (10 minutes or so).
- Combine onion/carrot/celery mixture with stock in a saucepan. Remove skin from sweet potatoes and add to saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop tomatoes and reserve (along with the minced garlic).
- Add thyme, chives, and sage to the soup. Use an immersion blender to process the soup until smooth. Alternatively, remove and process in a food processor (may have to do this in steps if your food processor is not large enough).
- Chop the parsley and walnuts. Ladle soup into bowls. Place a large spoonful of the tomato and garlic into the center of each bowl and garnish the soup with walnuts and parsley. Serve hot.