Prep 0 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Cooking Light 1992.
- 4 large sweet red peppers
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 lbs eggplants (peeled and cut in 1/2 inch slices)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup basil leaves (divided)
- fresh basil leaf (optional)
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds and membranes. Place peppers skin side up on a baking sheet and flatten with palm of hand.
- Broil 5.5 inches away from heat for 15- 20 minutes or until charred. Remove the peppers from the sheet reserving the liquid. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the peppers cool completely. Remove the peppers, reserve the liquid and discard the skins. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over med high heat until hot. Add the eggplant in batches and sauté 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Line a 8.5 by 4.5 by 3 inch loaf pan with heavy duty plastic wrap. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices in the bottom. Combine reserved liquid from red peppers, the ground pepper, and salt. Drizzle 2 tsp over the eggplant.
- Arrange one third of the basil over the eggplant and top with 1/3 of the peppers. Drizzle some of the reserve liquid over it.
- Repeat layers twice using the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the loaf pan with a heavy duty plastic wrap. Place a heavy object about 2 to 3 pounds on top of the loaf pan.
- Refrigerate terrine for 24 hours.
- Invert onto serving patter. Remove the wrap. Slice with an electric knife. Garnish with fresh basil.