Recipe by sugarpea
These onion halves, drizzled with olive oil and Balsamic vinegar and flavored with a bit of bacon, do indeed look like roses. They're so easy, so quick, so good and sooo pretty. I've used them as additions to brunch, lunch and dinner. They're great on the grill or in the oven. If you don't like aluminum foil touching your food you can line the foil with parchment paper and place the onions on the paper.
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 slice bacon, cut into 4 pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each onion half, cut side up on a 10" square of heavy-duty aluminum foil; drizzle with olive oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Turn onions cut side down; pat 2 pieces of bacon on each onion half; fold foil into packets; cook 20 to 30 minutes on a medium hot grill or in the oven at 375°, until tender.
- Cool onions in packets for 15 minutes; remove from foil, reserving juices; discard bacon; serve warm or at room temperature; drizzle juices over the tops.