Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
For all you garlic lovers out there! This could be served with a salad or use it as a spread on sandwiches.
- 2 medium sweet onions (Maui, Vidalia, Texas Sweet 1015, or other)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Peel and quarter onions.
- In a large bowl stir together oil and honey.
- Add onions and garlic, stirring to coat.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2-quart square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350* oven for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven; cool.
- Place in food processor bowl or blender container.
- Add salt; cover and process or blend till smooth.
- Serve on toast points or crusty French bread.
- Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Makes about 1/2 cup.
What a sweet and flavorful spread! Made without the honey and am so glad I did as the onions turn very sweet with the roasting. Was very tasty on roast beef sandwiches and am already planning on using the remaining on grilled veggies. Thanks for the post.
Yum-za! I have made this twice, the first time following the recipe exactly and the second time with the following changes: I used 2 Tablespoons olive oil with the onions and garlic. Also, I turned the oven to 375 and baked it one hour so the onions got slightly browned. These changes resulted in better flavor. I found that I absolutely loved this on buttered French bread. Thanks for posting this, I haven't seen another one like it.
This is a nice change from other ordinary spreads. I love the sweet and salty, but would reduce if not omit the honey next time. A glass of red wine and great crusty bread served with this spread made my dinner tonight! Thank you for sharing :)