Recipe by Kitty Z
Something a little different for your squash, inspired by twice-baked potatoes. This will work better with a straight, long squash
Top Review by luvcook'n
These are wonderful! I used zucchini, and didn't have mozza...so used cheddar. Quick and easy! Had to bake mine for 35 minutes...I guess it is because we live at a very high altitude and everything takes longer to cook. Just right for the two of us. Thank you for sharing. Will definately be making these again!
- 1 summer squash (any straight-necked type)
- 4.92-9.85 ml olive oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 20 g mozzarella cheese (or other semi-soft cheese)
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice squash in half lengthwise. With a sharp spoon, scoop out the soft inside portion of the squash to form a canoe shape. Chop the squash innards roughly and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onions and garlic, saute for one minute.
- Add squash innards and cook, stirring, about 2-3 minutes until most of the excess water has evaporated.
- Mix in cheese and tomato paste, cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Spoon this filling evenly into each squash boat. Sprinkle seasoning and pepper on top.
- Place boats in a nonstick baking dish, and bake at 170C for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size and thickness of the boats).