Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Source: Food Network, The Naked Chef, Jamie Oliver. Serve with roast, steak or bratwurst.
- 4 tennis ball size white onions, peeled
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, lower leaves picked
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese (approximately 2 handfuls)
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- Boil the onions in plenty of water for 15 minutes, until slightly tender. Remove from the pan and allow to cool. Remove the top 1 inch of each onion and reserve. If need be, slightly trim the stalk end of the onion so that they sit flat on a roasting tray.
- Cut about a heaped tbsp out from the inside of each onion, keeping the outside intact. Finely chop along with the reserved onion top.
- Pre heat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little olive oil, garlic, chopped onions and a little chopped rosemary. Fry for a couple of minutes then turn the heat down and add the cream. Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan and season to taste.
- Wrap a rasher of bacon around each onion and secure with the sharpened rosemary twig or half a cocktail stick.
- Place the onions on the roasting tray and spoon some of the filling inside each one. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place the onions on a warmed serving plate, warm through any remaining filling and serve on the side.
These onions were wonderful! I'd give them 5 stars except that the cheese is way overstated. I used about 3/4 cup, which was more than plenty. 2 cups would have produced an inedible, sticky mess. Other than that, these were perfect- golden brown on top, tender enough to cut through without being sharp, and just plain yummy! The bacon did not brown, which for me isn't a problem, but might be for some. If you must have the bacon brown, par-cook it to halfway done before wrapping the onions. That should solve the problem. I'd love to have these again- possibly a holiday dish. Thanks for posting!