Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Don't remember where I found this recipe.
Make and share this Roasted Stuffed Onion in Red Wine Sauce recipe from Food.com.
For the onion
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 3 ounces sausage meat
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon, zest only
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 3 1⁄2 ounces red wine
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice off the top of the onion and reserve.
- Slice a slither off the bottom of the onion to enable it to stand up.
- Scoop out the centre of the onion, leaving a 1/2" thick shell.
- Finely chop a quarter of the inner red onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining onion ingredients until well mixed.
- Stand the onion in a small roasting tin and stuff with the sausage meat mixture.
- Place the top back on the onion.
- Roast for 12-15 minutes or until the sausage meat is cooked through and the onion is beginning to soften.
- Gently simmer the red wine, tomato puree and stock in a small saucepan until reduced by half.
- Add the butter and swirl the pan until well combined and glossy. Serve the roasted onion drizzled with the sauce.