Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Donna Hay magazine Sept/Oct 2006.
- 150 ml egg whites, approximately 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar, superfine
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream, to serve (thick)
- 16 strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar, extra for the roasted strawberries
- Preheat oven to 200degC (390degF). To make the roasted strawberries place the strawberries in a small baking dish and sprinkle with sugar. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the strawberries are soft and syrupy. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 120degC (250degF). Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and vinegar and beat until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Place spoonfuls of the eggwhite mixture onto two baking trays lined with baking paper. Using the back of a teaspoon, make a dent in the centre to create a nest and bake for 25 minutes or until the meringues are crisp on the outside.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for 30 minutes. To serve, spoon the roasted strawberries into the centre of each meringue and top with the cream.
- Donna's suggested decoration: a rose petal for each but to remove before eating.