1 hr 30 mins
Heavenly holiday fair! Choose winter squash that have the prettiest, most symmetrical shape, such as acorn or even small round pie pumpkins. Enjoy! This came out of Vegetarian Times Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 squash, each about 1 to 2 pounds
- 3/4 cup water, salted if desired
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons fat-free margarine, spread
- 2 large golden delicious apples, cored and sliced
- 2 pears, cored and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- fresh greens or fresh edible flower, for garnish
- 1Cut the top of each squash off to make a handsome lid.
- 2Set aside the lids.
- 3Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each squash to make it stand firmly.
- 4Using a large metal spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy flesh.
- 5Remove the flesh from each to weigh a combined total of about 1 pound, taking some from the lid pieces, if necessary.
- 6Cut the scooped-out squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 7Steam until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, bring salted water to a rolling boil.
- 9Stir in the couscous and currants, cover and remove from the heat.
- 10Let sit 10 minutes.
- 11Preheat the oven to 325*.
- 12Heat 2 tbls.
- 13margarine in a large skillet, and cook the apples, pears, apricots, raisins and walnuts, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 14Add 2 tbls.
- 15honey, spices except for the pinch of cinnamon, couscous, steamed squash and salt to taste.
- 16Cook, stirring gently, for 2 or 3 minutes more.
- 17Remove from heat.
- 18In a small pot, melt the remaining margarine, stir in the remaining honey and a pinch of cinnamon.
- 19Generously brush the inside of the squash with the honey mixture and divide the filling equally among them.
- 20Replace the squash lids, carefully turn upside down and place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking oil.
- 21Bake until a fork easily pierces the squash, about 1 hour.
- 22Carefully transfer the roasted squash to a large serving platter, remove the lids and cut each squash in half vertically.
- 23Garnish the platter with fresh greens or flowers.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Squash with Fruited Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.2
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 722.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 44.2 g
- Protein 11.1 g