Recipe by Nif
I guess you could make this without the amazing brie surprise in the bottom of the bowl, but why would you!? LOL! Actually you can freeze this, but I don't know if the cheese would freeze very well. This is another delicious, healthy and easy recipe from the Best of Bridge. You can shorten the cooking time by about a half hour if you microwave the squash, as mentioned. Enjoy!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 leek, white portion only
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces brie cheese
- chives, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut-side down on pan and bake at 350F until tender, about 45 minutes. You can also microwave cut-side down in a small amount of water, covered for 10 minutes.
- Chop carrot, onion and leek into 1" pieces and place in large pot. Gently saute in butter. Do not brown. Scrape flesh from cooked squash and add to vegetables. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add apple, bay leaf and sugar to stock mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Remove bay leaf and puree soup in batches. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice off outer skin of Brie and cut into 1/2" pieces. Place cheese in bottom of soup bowls and fill with hot soup. Garnish with chives.