Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delish! The Granny Smith apples give it a bit of "tartness".
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large butternut squash (1 kg)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled,cored and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 2 cans chicken broth or 2 cans vegetable broth
- 5⁄8 ml dried thyme
- 120 ml half-and-half
- thinly sliced red apple (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Split squash in half lengthwise and place cut side down on baking sheet coated with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Roast 45 minutes or until soft.
- Cook onion in a pot with remaining oil until tender.
- Scoop out flesh from squash and add along with apples, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return to pot with half& half and reheat.
- Add more seasoning if desired.