Recipe by karen in tbay
Cleaning out magazine collection and want this recipe on file. Taken from Cdn Living 1996. We always have these vegies on hand after fall harvest.
- 1 acorn squash, about 2 lbs
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve squash and sweet potatoes.
- Remove seeds from squash.
- Place vegetables, cut side down, on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet; cover with foil and bake 350F oven for about 50 mins or til almost tender.
- Scrape out flesh; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, stirring often, for 5 to 10 mins or til softened.
- Add flour; cook, stirring to coat onions for 1 minute.
- Add stock, pumpkin,squash, and sweet potato.
- Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes or til tender.
- Let cool slightly.
- In blender or food processor, puree soup in batches til smooth.
- Return to clean saucepan and whisk in cream, giner, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper.
- Season with salt to taste.