Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
An autumn soup - Squash, garlic, and red pepper - perfect for Thanksgiving dinner!! A roasted red pepper drizzle (easy as pruéeing some jarred or homemade roasted peppers) gives this soup a kick of flavour and a colour contrast. This would be a perfect starter for Thanksgiving dinner -
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 3 onions
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock
- Peel and cut squash into 2-inch chunks. Peel and quarter onions. Separate cloves of garlic, but do not peel.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, onion, oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Spread in a large shallow pan; roast in a 375F oven for 40-50 minutes or until tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile purée red peppers in blender or food processor until smooth; set aside.
- Squeeze softened garlic cloves out of skin,. In batches, purée vegetables with some of the stock until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Add remaining stock and bring to a boil;'reduce heat and simmer just until hot enough to serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with red pepper drizzle.