1/4 Photos of Roasted Squash and Carrot Puree (Fat Free)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
My brother and I have a game each holiday where he tries to figure out which dishes prepared for our Thanksgiving table are lowfat and which are "real food." Let's see if he gets this one right. LOL. Using apple butter in this combination brings what looks like a flavorful side to the table in three simple ingredients and the dish can be prepared the day before and easily reheated. Directions are long, but it is really easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Prepare roasting pan or baking sheet with a lip with a good dose of cooking spray. Lining the pan with foil is a good time saving option here.
- 3Prepare the vegetables by cutting both into 1 inch pieces. Even sizes assures even cooking and will be worth the effort.
- 4With the squash, use a large chef's knife to cut the squash in half lengthwise, the scoop out the seeds. Use the knife to peel the squash. (Trimming a small amount from the bottom helps the veggie sit on the board.).
- 5Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 6Mix squash and carrots with 5 tablespoons apple butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Place mixture on baking pan, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons water and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- 7Remove foil. Add 1/2 cup water and bake for 20 minutes more.
- 8Transfer vegetables to food processor and process until very smooth. This should be done in batches.
- 9Transfer to medium saucepan. Add remaining 3 tablespoons apple butter and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat gently before serving.
- 10(This dish can also be made early in the day and reheated.).
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Squash and Carrot Puree (Fat Free)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.3
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 169.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 2.2 g