Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
from Gourmet magazine via smittenkitchen.com. The original recipe called for 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, but I thought that was a bit too much--you may want to revert to the original amount. I roasted my potatoes at 350 degrees for an hour, turning them after one half hour.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (I used the lesser amount and they were still spicy enough for me)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 lbs medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Coarsely grind coriander, fennel, oregano, and red pepper flakes in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Stir together spices and salt.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1-inch wedges.
- Toss wedges with oil and spices in a large roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 20 minutes.
- Turn wedges over with a spatula and roast until tender and slightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.
I really loved the mix of flavors. I only used 1/2 tsp salt and added a pinch more after the potatoes cooked. (better to use less and add more as needed) I also used 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds to the spice blend and used a 1/4 tsp of ground chipotle, for a little smokey flavor. I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes that are cooked with savory seasonings.
Terrific recipe! Used coconut oil instead of olive oil, and doubled the spice ingredients.Would probably add more oil, they did stick to the pan quite a bit. Delicious!
Great mix of flavors that I gobbled right up. I reduced the recipe to half. Loved it! Thanks bobo! Made for Pick a Chef!