Recipe by oilpatchjo
We love red potatoes especially the ones from our garden and I love this no fuss recipe that goes with everything! This recipe is designed to work with potatoes 1½ to 2 inches in diameter do not use potatoes any larger. It is important to cook the potatoes so that they will smash easily but do not overcook they should be able to hold their shape before smashing them. Remove the potatoes from the baking sheet as soon as they are done browning they will toughen if left too long. A potato masher can also be used to “smash” the potatoes or I use my fork.
- 2 lbs potatoes (about 18 small Red scrubbed see note)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (chopped fresh)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven racks to top and bottom positions and heat oven to 500 degrees. Arrange potatoes on rimmed baking sheet, pour ¾ cup water into baking sheet, and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Cook on bottom rack until paring knife or skewer slips in and out of potatoes easily (poke through foil to test), 25 to 30 minutes. Remove foil and cool 10 minutes. If any water remains on baking sheet, blot dry with paper towel.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over potatoes and roll to coat. Space potatoes evenly on baking sheet and place second baking sheet on top press down firmly on baking sheet, flattening potatoes until 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick sprinkle with thyme leaves and season generously with salt and pepper drizzle evenly with remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Roast potatoes on top rack 15 minutes. Transfer potatoes to bottom rack and continue to roast until well browned, 20 to 30 minutes longer serve immediately.