Recipe by Jan in Lanark
A wonderful way to treat small new potatoes, and has the advantage that it is great for parties because it can be partially prepared ahead of time. From the Ottawa Citizen.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in one layer in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by at least an inch. Add 1 t. salt and bring water to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 25-30 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly, then wrap loosely in a tea towel to draw out excess moisture. Remove tea towel and place potatoes in one layer on parchment paper covered baking sheet. Cover your hand with a tea towel(for protection) and press down on each potato to "smash" it lightly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool completely. Dish can be prepared to this point; cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 450°F If chilled, bring potatoes to room temp(about 20 minutes). Pour olive oil generously over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining 2 t. salt. Lift potatoes slightly to ensure they're well coated with oil underneath.
- Roast potatoes until brown and crispy, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.