1/1 Photo of Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Jan in Lanark's Note:
A wonderful way to treat small new potatoes, and has the advantage that it is great for parties because it can be partially prepared ahead of time. From the Ottawa Citizen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place potatoes in one layer in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by at least an inch. Add 1 t. salt and bring water to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 25-30 minutes.
- 2Drain thoroughly, then wrap loosely in a tea towel to draw out excess moisture. Remove tea towel and place potatoes in one layer on parchment paper covered baking sheet. Cover your hand with a tea towel(for protection) and press down on each potato to "smash" it lightly.
- 3Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool completely. Dish can be prepared to this point; cover and refrigerate.
- 4Preheat oven to 450°F If chilled, bring potatoes to room temp(about 20 minutes). Pour olive oil generously over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining 2 t. salt. Lift potatoes slightly to ensure they're well coated with oil underneath.
- 5Roast potatoes until brown and crispy, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (711 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.2
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1785.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 118.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 13.7 g