Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: Barefoot Contessa
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup minced scallion, white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup small-diced red onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente.
- Drain and pour into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.
- Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!
- Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Toss well.
- Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight.
- If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.
This was very easy to prepare and it was filling too! We enjoyed all the different flavors...I didn't realize till later that there was cucumber in the directions but not on the ingredient list...I had 1/2 of one available so I cubed it up and threw it in too...It really needed more...I found this tasty room temp and cold...would make a wonderful traveling salad for picnics and pot lucks...made for chef #28087 tag in My 3 Chef's tag game...:)