Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great use for roast pork leftovers or roast the pork with seasonings ment for the shredded pork filling. The pork roast can be bone in or boneless as long as it's fairly lean as bacon fat is added for flavor. Most of the shredded meat fillings I've found for enchiladas are slow cooked from uncooked meats, this is a great way to get that roasted flavor to enrich the dish.
Pork roasted for Enchiladas
- 2 -3 lbs pork roast (Bone in or boneless as long as it's fairly lean)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked mixed peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 4 fresh garlic cloves (coarsly diced)
For Slow Cooking
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cumin (Mounded, not level or heaping)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (Mounded, not level or heaping)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (1/2 cup fresh can be used)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (1 small fresh finely minced can be used)
- cayanne pepper and sea salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying tortilla
- 1 lb grated cheese (Monteray Jack or similar)
- sour cream, Shredded Lettuce, Diced Tomato, onion and Japalenos
- Rub Pork Roast with first 4 ingredients. Melt 1 tsp bacon drippings in a oven safe fry pan or dutch oven with 2 cloves of garlic. Put roast in pan and top with remaining bacon drippings and garlic. Roast at 325 for 1 hour. The meat will be just a bit underdone but it'll have the roasted flavor.
- Remove the roast to the slow cooker and add the remaining slow cooking ingrediants to the roasting pan to deglaze pan drippings. Bring the pan liquid just to a simmer and add to crock pot. Cook crock pot on high till it just comes to a simmer then turn it to low for 3 hours.
- Remove the roast and shred with forks. Put liquid from crock pot in a fry pan and reduce till about 1 cup and add the shredded meat. Continue to reduce till meat is moist but not dripping, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Combine the Sauce ingredients in a 2 quart sauce pan and simmer 5 minutes.
- Put 2-3 Tbsp oil in a fry pan and heat to high. Add tortillas 1 at a time for a few seconds, flip, then remove to paper towels to drain excess oil, stacking paper towel, tortilla, paper towel, tortilla, etc. Pour 1/2 sauce in a flat dish and dip tortillas one at a time in the sauce. After dipping place in a baking dish, sprinke with cheese then shredded meat and roll Repeat for all 12 tortillas Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas the to with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove separately and garnish as desired.