Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cut from a magazine some time ago, I finally tried this last night - It was SO GOOD that I had to share right away! The timing doesn't include preparation of the pastry using your favourite recipe.
- 1 pastry shells
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 9 small shallots or 12 white pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere (or aged Provolone)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Fit pastry into a 9-inch quiche pan, leaving the pastry slightly higher than the edge; chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F; line pastry shell with foil & fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Place pie shell on baking sheet & bake in the bottom third of the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden; let cool before removing weights & foil - if making ahead, cover & store at room temp for up to 8 hours.
- Peel shallots, leaving pointed ends intact; combine with red pepper & oil in a bowl & toss to coat well.
- Place on a metal baking dish, very lightly sprayed with Pam & roast for about 10 minutes until shallots are tender but not browned.
- Remove shallots; turn pepper & continue roasting for about another 10 minutes or until it starts to blister & burn.
- Cut the shallots in half, peel pepper after it cools, roughly chop & combine with shallots in a small bowl.
- Blanch spinach in a saucepan of boiling water or the top of a steamer until wilted, about a minute, drain & chill under cold water, drain & squeeze out moisture - I find a ricer works well - roughly chop.
- Combine the spinach, shallot mixture & cheese; place in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl & pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 375F until a knife inserted into center comes out clesn, about 30 minutes.