Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Recipe posted per request for salsa recipes. This is a very hot relish type of salsa, if you want it milder you can change the type of chilies used. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe.
- 6 serrano chilies
- 1 lb tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, diced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat cook the seranos until blackened.
- Remove half of the blackened skin and discard.
- Chop the chilies.
- Combine the chopped chilies with the remaining ingredients.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate.
I had a hard time eating this! BUT my DH had no problem. He just loved it! I boosted up the heat by adding habanaro peppers to the serranos. I roasted them in the oven let them sit and peeled all the skin off. I used 2 very large home grown tomatoes, fresh squeezed orange juice, & for him parsley to replace one of my favorite herbs cilantro (he just doesn't like cilantro. He was sweating and kept on eating. Now everyone just remember I rose the heat level. John thanks you so much! Can you tell I made this for him. Hey! And we didn't miss the garlic that I throw into everything.