Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely recipe for shellfish lovers to have on hand for a small dinner get-together. Great with "Sauce Choron"! If you prep the fresh tomatoes and seafood ahead of time it goes together quickly. I first made this for best friends & it was an instant hit. Good with angel hair pasta. Notes: You want peeled, deveined shrimp, preferably extra-large or large. If scallops, sea or bay scallops. I like to omit the ground cayenne and substitute 2 tsp. ("Flora" brand) Hot Crushed Peppers.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs shrimp or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs scallops
- 2 cups plum tomatoes (fresh, seeded and chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (julienned)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (scant)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Have your shrimp (large or X-large, peeled & deveined) or scallops (either sea scallops or bay scallops) drained and patted dry. You can also use frozen shrimp, thawed.
- Set the seafood aside in the refrigerator until the tomato layer is prepared and roasted THROUGH step 6.
- Seed and chop the fresh plum tomatoes. Mix them together with the rest of the ingredients for the Tomato Layer.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a gratin or other shallow baking dish suitable for high heat.
- Roast @ 500 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Remove the gratin from the oven and layer your seafood on top.
- Return to the oven and continue roasting until the shrimp are pink, or the scallps are opaque on the outside but still translucent in their centers; about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with minced fresh parsley, and serve very hot with "Sauce Choron" (see my recipe) and angel hair pasta if you like.
This is a very easy recipe but it is very impressive in taste and looks! I've cooked this many times now, and have a lot of requests to cook it more often! Roasting the tomato sauce gives it a really hearty depth, and when you serve it with the sauce Choron, this makes a really filling dinner! YUM!!!