Recipe by Manami
Roasting any vegetable brings out its rich, nutty flavor, as it does with the Savoy cabbage. This recipe would be perfect with green cabbage as well. This is a very easy recipe and makes for a nice side dish. Found this in Eating Well Newsletter 06/02/2007.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
Delish and so easy to make as well. Only changes I made was to use just a bit of oil spray instead of the canola oil- in an attempt to cut down on fat; and I also used some hot chili paste instead of hot sauce. Yum! I served this over brown rice with baked tofu for a super easy dinner. Thanks for posting, this is a keeper.
- 1 head savoy cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch squares (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons shao hsing rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
- 1 bunch scallion, minced
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 dashes hot sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500°F
- Toss cabbage and canola oil in a large roasting pan and spread out in an even layer.
- Roast until beginning to wilt and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice wine (or sherry) and black bean sauce in a small bowl; drizzle over the cabbage and toss.
- Continue roasting until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Toss with scallions, vinegar, sesame oil and hot sauce until combined.