Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A great Fall favorite. Here's the most tasty and healthy snack you'll find anywhere this season. Great for parties, ball games, outdoor activities, even as lunch box snacks.
- Place water and salt in a saucepan.
- Rinse sunflower seeds and remove any plant or flower head matter.
- Add sunflower seeds to water& salt in pan.
- Bring water to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When done, strain water& seeds through collander& allow seeds to dry on paper toweling.
- Do not rinse.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread seeds on a cookie sheet& bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from oven when seeds are slightly browned& fragrant.
- NOTE: for salt free seeds, simply eliminate the first 7 steps& go straight into oven preparation (Step 8).
This is an excellent recipe. I have been making sunflower seeds for years and hadnâ€™t quite found a favorite now I have. I thought it was strange to boil them, but I try it out anyway and was glad I did. Thanks!
Way too salty, not impressed.
I added a few Chinese star anise and a few cloves to add more flavor and fragrance to it. It turned out just like the ones you buy from Asian market. Thanks for the recipe.