Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
We bought a share in an organic farm this year which gave me the opportunity to prepare a number of root vegetables that were new to me as a cook, among them rutabagas and turnips. Feel free to experiment with amounts and types of veggies. I used rutabaga, potato, sweet potato, and red onion in my first attempt, but carrots, turnips, parsnips or leeks would also work well in this dish. This would make a good Thanksgiving side dish as it can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chop vegetables into 1-inch pieces and toss with thyme and enough olive oil to coat in baking pan.
- Roast for 50 minutes to an hour, turning occasionally, till tender and brown in spots.
- Whisk together olive oil and vinegar and drizzle over vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper.