Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fantastic side dish for a Thanksgiving Turkey, and one of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables for the holidays.
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 3 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 turnip
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup butter, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Cook onions in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes.
- peel root vegetables, and chop into large pieces. leave base end intact for rustic presentation. place in glass baking dish
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- combine sugar, vinegar and mustard in bowl for glaze.
- transfer onions to glass baking dish, with root vegetables. add glaze, butter, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 cup water. toss to coat. cover with foil. roast for 25 mins or till soft, for crisper vegetables remove foil at end of cooking. check seasonings and serve. serves 4.
Sauce had a pleasant flavour, just a tad too sweet for us and also had far too much sauce to veg ratio, so veg came out more 'stewed' than roasted. Maybe a fault with my oven, but also took far longer to cook than stated.