This awesome recipe for hearty spiced salsa may have a lot of ingredients, but really, it's all just "to taste". Just try not to skip out on any of them - they each add unique dimension and depth!
- 12 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 baby red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 baby orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup corn kernel
- 1 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marinara seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried chopped onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄8 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Lay the tomatoes and onions (and peppers, if desired) on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and broil in the oven until skins are dry, hard, and slightly browned, and onions are well-browned (this can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how ripe your tomatoes are).
- While still hot, remove tomatoes from sheet and place (with skins) in a large ramekin or bowl.
- Mash the tomatoes slightly.
- Add in onion and peppers; stir.
- While still very hot, drop the chocolate chip in and stir until melted.
- Stir in corn.
- Stir in next 11 ingredients, stirring well until very well combined.
- Stir in vinegar and water; stir well (again!).
- Serve warm or cold, but store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.