Recipe by Lizzymommy
from The Barefoot Contessa Incredibly fast (half the cooking time is letting the peppers cool!), simple, and delicious, these peppers are fabulous to have on hand for antipasti, garnish, or simply snacking straight out of the fridge!
- 4 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 3 cups basil leaves, plus
- 8 basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and place the peppers, cut side up on the oil. Turn the peppers over, season them with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes (it will likely smoke heavily!). Place the warm peppers in a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- For the basil oil, put the basil, 1 1/2 cups olive oil, and the garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse 6 to 8 times until the basil is finely chopped.
- When the peppers are cool, remove and discard the skins. Slice the peppers and arrange them on a plate. Pour the basil oil over the peppers, and garnish with the basil leaves.