Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm very happy that this, orignally Italian, recipe which has traveled here in Europe through several countries and cookbooks has made it into our kitchens. An excellent starter, side, lunch or buffet dish. They should be served warm but we like them just as much cold!When you serve this as a single dish, have a nice Italian bread with it.
- Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds but leave the stalks on[decorative] Lay the peppers in a shallow 16 x 12 roasting-tray wich is lightly oiled.
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters and put 2 in each pepper half.
- Cut up one anchovy fillet per pepper[use scissors]and add to the tomatoes.
- Peel the garlic, slice or chop very finely,and divide over the peppers.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over each pepper.
- Season with the black pepper.
- Place the tray in a 350F preheated oven on a high shelf, for 50 to 60 minutes, the edges should be browned by then.
- Transfer your peppers to a serving dish, don"t leave the juices in the roasting-dish but pour them over the peppers.
- Serve with basil leaves scattered over them.
This is a fantastic dish. The aroma while cooking is fantastic. I have even had anchovy haters love this dish. If your still nervous to use anchovies, use sun dried tomatoes in its place.
Wonderful, Pets. Had it with many different colored peppers, and it was a beautiful dish! Served it with grilled steak - a bit of pepper with a bite of steak - pure heaven! Thanks!
I am rating on behalf of myself and the adults at supper last nite - loved it. Would be great served on toasted baguette like a bruschetta. My kids did not care for the anchovies.