Recipe by Pets'R'us
I'm very happy that this, orignally Italian, recipe which has traveled here in Europe through several countries and cookbooks has made it into our kitchens. An excellent starter, side, lunch or buffet dish. They should be served warm but we like them just as much cold!When you serve this as a single dish, have a nice Italian bread with it.
Top Review by Allyoop
This is a fantastic dish. The aroma while cooking is fantastic. I have even had anchovy haters love this dish. If your still nervous to use anchovies, use sun dried tomatoes in its place.
- 4 large red peppers, don"t use green,they are not sweet enough for this dish
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, skinned
- 8 anchovy fillets, from a tin
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds but leave the stalks on[decorative] Lay the peppers in a shallow 16 x 12 roasting-tray wich is lightly oiled.
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters and put 2 in each pepper half.
- Cut up one anchovy fillet per pepper[use scissors]and add to the tomatoes.
- Peel the garlic, slice or chop very finely,and divide over the peppers.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over each pepper.
- Season with the black pepper.
- Place the tray in a 350F preheated oven on a high shelf, for 50 to 60 minutes, the edges should be browned by then.
- Transfer your peppers to a serving dish, don"t leave the juices in the roasting-dish but pour them over the peppers.
- Serve with basil leaves scattered over them.