1/1 Photo of Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup With Spinach Gnocchi
1 hr 15 mins
Mamas Cookin's Note:
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: My husband is really happy that I entered this contest if for no other reason than I was able to create this deliciously creamy Italian soup that now tops his list of favorite soups. It is a little labor intensive but I think you will agree that it is well worth the effort when you see how much everyone enjoys it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 6 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water, from the gnocchi
For the gnocchi
- 1In a large heavy bottom pot, combine the Olive Oil, onion and garlic.
- 2Saute over medium heat until onions are soft but not brown.
- 3Cut the roasted red peppers into large chunks and add to the pot.
- 4Stir in the sun dried tomatoes, San Marzano Tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, white pepper and sugar.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Use a stick blender to blend the soup into a puree. If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a regular blender: Cool the soup slightly. Add small amounts of the soup at a time to the blender but do not fill the blender more than halfway. Hot soup produces steam when blended and the pressure can blow the top off your blender if you are not careful. Once that batch is blended, place the pureed soup in another pot and repeat until all soup is blended smooth.
- 8Stir in the basil, spinach and heavy cream. Set aside.
- 9To make the gnocchi: Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 10In a food processor, combine the mashed potatoes, spinach and roasted garlic.
- 11Pulse several times until well combined.
- 12Remove from processor and place in a medium bowl.
- 13Add the eggs, flour and salt.
- 14Mix just until the dough comes together.
- 15Turn dough onto heavily floured surface.
- 16Knead about 20 times. The dough will be sticky so make sure you use plenty of flour on your work surface.
- 17Divide dough into 6 portions.
- 18Working with one portion at a time, roll into a rope about the thickness of your index finger.
- 19Cut into 1 inch segments.
- 20Place on a floured cookie sheet. Set aside.
- 21Repeat until all 6 portions have been rolled and cut into segments.
- 22Add about 20 pieces of gnocchi at a time to the boiling water.
- 23Cook 2 minutes.
- 24Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and place in the soup.
- 25Repeat until all gnocchi has been cooked and is in the soup.
- 26Stir 1 cup of the gnocchi water into the soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup With Spinach Gnocchi
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.8
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.1 mg
- Sodium 2811.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes