Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Have any peppers and tomatoes that have been hanging around a little too long? I did. This goes well with haricot verts
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1⁄2 lb plum tomato, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper (1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut off and discard top quarter of garlic head and wrap remainder in foil after drizzling with the olive oil. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in a foil-lined 13x9x2-inch baking pan and sprinkle lightly with salt. Add whole bell pepper and garlic (in foil) to pan and roast vegetables in middle of oven 1 hour.
- Transfer bell pepper to a bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap, then let stand about 20 minutes. when cool enough to handle, peel pepper, discarding stem and seeds, and transfer to a food processor or blender along with tomatoes.
- Unwrap garlic and squeeze roasted cloves from skin into food processor (or blender). Add remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste, then puree sauce until smooth.