Recipe by JillAZ
This is in response to a request. This comes from the Ball Blue Book.
Top Review by dianegrapegrower
I've made this outstanding recipe from BBB for several years. Truly excellent. We ilke to combine it with cream to make a quick pasta sauce - similar to an alfredo sauce. Thanks, Jill
- 6 lbs sweet red peppers (8 large)
- 1 lb roma tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast red peppers under broiler or on grill until skin is charred.
- Place in a paper bag and fold over the top of the bag.
- Let cool in bag 15 minutes.
- Roast tomatoes, garlic and onion under broiler or on grill for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place tomatoes in a paper bag, fold over top and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Peel garlic and onion.
- Finely mince garlic and set aside.
- Finely mince onion: measure 1/4 cup and set aside.
- Peel and seed peppers and tomatoes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer until spread thickens.
- Ladle hot spread into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Adjust two-piece caps and process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.