Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
This is in response to a request. This comes from the Ball Blue Book.
- 6 lbs sweet red peppers (8 large)
- 1 lb roma tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- Roast red peppers under broiler or on grill until skin is charred.
- Place in a paper bag and fold over the top of the bag.
- Let cool in bag 15 minutes.
- Roast tomatoes, garlic and onion under broiler or on grill for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place tomatoes in a paper bag, fold over top and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Peel garlic and onion.
- Finely mince garlic and set aside.
- Finely mince onion: measure 1/4 cup and set aside.
- Peel and seed peppers and tomatoes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer until spread thickens.
- Ladle hot spread into hot half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Adjust two-piece caps and process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
I've made this outstanding recipe from BBB for several years. Truly excellent. We ilke to combine it with cream to make a quick pasta sauce - similar to an alfredo sauce. Thanks, Jill
I made this a couple of days ago and just tasted. WOW talk about flavor. The flavors blend together to creat a very nice taste. I've combined this spread with balsamic vinager and olive oil for a great salad dressing. Thanks
Super tasty. It is time consuming but worth it. Beware it does pop as it heats up.