Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a sweet and savory red pepper soup that features red onions and balsamic vinegar, along with easy to use bottled red peppers. I adapted this from a sauce recipe that I often use on chicken and pasta meals. If you want to make something more indulgent, replace the skim milk with half and half or heavy cream. Yum!
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 11 ounces roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon asian chili-garlic sauce (or hot sauce to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and cook about 8 minutes or until completely soft and cooked through.
- Add the red pepper and cook until warm then add the balsamic vinegar and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the cooktop and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the onions and peppers are cooling, mix the milk, tomato paste and chili sauce in a separate bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Pour the red pepper onion mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the red pepper mixture back into the pan and heat until warm.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the pan and whisk until completely blended.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. remove from heat, cool slightly and serve!