Recipe by kitchengrrl
This is THE most awesome soup EVER! Great for winter nights to chase the chill away and warm you up from the inside out. Not too spicy, just like tomato soup with a kick.
- 4 large red bell peppers (4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes with juice (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- First, trim 4 peppers, discard the seeds, and cut them into flat pieces.
- Broil the pepper, skin side up, until the skin blisters.
- Now, cool the pieces in a plastic bag.
- Remove the skin and chop.
- (You can use 4-6 roasted red peppers from a jar to save yourself a lot of trouble for the same result.) Sauté 1/2 cup diced sweet onion in a little olive oil.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes with the juice, the peppers, and 4 cups of broth.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whiz half the mixture in a blender, then return it to the original pan.
- Or use a stick blender and whirl the whole pot around to your desired consistency.
- I like smooth.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper, and a little balsamic vinegar.