Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is THE most awesome soup EVER! Great for winter nights to chase the chill away and warm you up from the inside out. Not too spicy, just like tomato soup with a kick.
- First, trim 4 peppers, discard the seeds, and cut them into flat pieces.
- Broil the pepper, skin side up, until the skin blisters.
- Now, cool the pieces in a plastic bag.
- Remove the skin and chop.
- (You can use 4-6 roasted red peppers from a jar to save yourself a lot of trouble for the same result.) Sauté 1/2 cup diced sweet onion in a little olive oil.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes with the juice, the peppers, and 4 cups of broth.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whiz half the mixture in a blender, then return it to the original pan.
- Or use a stick blender and whirl the whole pot around to your desired consistency.
- I like smooth.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper, and a little balsamic vinegar.
The flavor is greatly improved IMHO if you roast the garlic first. This small step adds a layer of depth to the finished product.
YUM! i chopped fine and left un-pureed, served with a swirl of sour cream and a dash of cayenne on top, sided with garlic toast. left the boyfriend with a big happy belly! omit cream when freezing and just add later.
My husband and step daughter made this soup today and it was very good. Since neither of them can cook worth a darn and it came out so good anyway ;) I have to give this five stars for sure! This will be the only recipe we use from now on. I think it would be interesting to add some cream to it next time to see if we can get creamy roated pepper soup. Thanks!