Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lighter version that I got from my daughter! Serve over your favourite pasta with a side salad.
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F& lightly coat a roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Place whole peppers on the pan& roast, turning once, for about 20 minutes or until the peppers start to blister& burn.
- Remove from oven& allow to cool; cut each pepper in half, remove the stem, seeds& pith.
- Heat oil in saute pan; saute garlic& onion until the onion is translucent, about 3- 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted peppers& broth; bring to a boil, lower heat& simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat& carefully puree in a blender.
- Season to taste& pour over your favourite pasta.
I love this! I didn't have enough red peppers to follow the recipe properly, so I used one red pepper and about 5 large carrots and roasted them all together. I also added a splash of heavy cream and about a cup of white wine. Absolutely delicious.
This was an EXCELLENT sauce but I did make some major modifications. I used marinated roasted red peppers out of the jar and saut?ed everything in just a scant teaspoon of oil and some Pam cooking spray as we are counting fat grams in our household. My biggest decision was to omit the broth altogether and just blend everything up in a food processor once the sauce ingredients had a chance to simmer in the skillet. It was delicious and there was plenty on hand to top two chicken breasts. Next time I would like to try adding fat free half-and-half. I will certainly use this recipe again--thanks for posting, CountryLady! :)
This was AMAZING!!! I followed the recipe almost exactly except I used 2 shallots instead of the small onion and I also added about 1/2 cup of half and half. My whole family and my guests loved it! I served it over penne pasta and chicken. I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing!