Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great tasting sauce for pasta or rice.
- 4 red peppers (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium red onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a skillet heat the olive oil (I prefer a cast iron one) sauté and slightly char over medium high heat 3 of the cut up red peppers, 3/4 of the onion. Stir continuously to prevent burning. This will only take about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and reduce the heat to medium. Cook and stir for another minute or two.
- Transfer this to a blender and add gradually the canned diced tomatoes,cilantro, cumin, ginger and the remaining uncooked red pepper and onion and blend until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Pour this back into the skillet, reduce heat to low simmer. Add the tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer and stir once in a while for about 15 minutes.