1 hr 15 mins
Tracy K's Note:
This is a delicious, authentic, creamy risotto based on a recipe from chef Jackie Cipriano. It is a bit time consuming due to the caramelization of the veggies and the stirring process, but well worth it. If you have dinner guests, they can all take turns stirring for some interactive kitchen fun!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Galliano
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 large carrots, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, pureed with enough water to measure 3 cups (can substitute your own roasted peppers)
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 dash vinegar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2-3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2-3/4 cup romano cheese
- 1Using a food processor, process the carrots and garlic together until finely minced.
- 2In a medium saucepan, saute carrot/garlic mixture and onions in olive oil.
- 3Add Galliano, salt, and pepper, and let caramelize (20-30 minutes) over low heat.
- 4While mixture is caramelizing, combine chicken stock, vegetable stock, and roasted red pepper puree and bring to a simmer.
- 5Add butter to caramelized veggies and let melt.
- 6Add rice, stirring to coat each grain.
- 7Cook 1-2 minutes.
- 8Add vermouth and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until all alcohol is evaporated.
- 9Add stock/pepper puree mixture one cup at a time and simmer, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- 10Do not add any additional liquid until the previous liquid has been absorbed!
- 11Stir constantly, as this encourages release of the rice starch, creating the creamy texture.
- 12You may not need all of the stock mixture, or you may need to supplement with additional stock.
- 13Taste the mixture frequently and adjust with salt and pepper, but remember you will be adding cheese (which is salty) towards the end.
- 14When the rice is nearly done, add the vinegar.
- 15Adjust seasonings and add the oregano and tarragon.
- 16When the risotto has reached the correct texture (grains of rice will swell, rice should be al dente but not crunchy or chalky), remove from heat and stir in the cheese, adding more broth if necessary.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.1
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.5 mg
- Sodium 776.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: