Recipe by Kizzikate
This sauce is terrific with any seafood, but we especially love it with shrimp, and fried green tomatoes! From Southern Living Magazine, 6/04.
Top Review by appleydapply
This had delicious flavor and was wonderful with fried fish. It tasted much more elegant than tartar sauce or cocktail sauce. The texture was very thin, though. I substituted 1 egg for the egg substitute as another reviewer mentioned. Otherwise I followed the directions exactly, so I'm not sure why it didn't thicken. It tasted so good that I will probably give it another try next time we have fried seafood.
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute, such as Eggbeaters
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg substitute in bowl of food processor. With processor running, pour vegetable oil slowly through chute, in a steady stream, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Pour mixture into a small bowl.
- Process roasted peppers and next 9 ingredients in food processor, pulsing until smooth. Fold roasted pepper mixture into egg mixture.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.