Compassionate Chef's Note:
This is so quick and easy and incredibly delicious. I had a friend tell me she could eat 10 of these for the Weight Watchers points in 1 slice of Papa John's pizza! I suggest serving with a large salad full of fresh, raw veggies.
My Private Note
pita pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes (the kind that come in a jar with oil)
- 1 tablespoon oil, from the sundried tomato
- 1 cup jarred roasted red bell pepper, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove
- extra roasted bell pepper, cut into strips
- dried rosemary
- dried oregano
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls (the kind that come packaged in water)
- 4 pita bread rounds (6-inch)
- 1Preheat the broiler on your oven and set one oven rack 2 notches down from the broiler and another oven rack 3 notches down.
- 2Puree the first 4 ingredients in a food processor until smooth (it will be the consistency of pizza sauce).
- 3Place pita rounds on 2 baking sheets (2 on each) and spread about 1/4 cup of the sauce onto each pita.
- 4Slice mozarella thinly and cover your pita pizzas with the slices.
- 5Sprinkle dried rosemary and oregano over the pizzas (as much as you like) and top with extra roasted red bell pepper slices.
- 6Put under the broiler (the top rack that you placed 2 notches down) for 2 - 21/2 minutes, but watch them closely. It is important not to walk away from the oven when using the broiler on these. Once the edges of the pita bread start turning brown, take them out.
- 7Drain off any excess water that may be pooling in the center of the pizzas due to the mozarella.
- 8Slide your pans back into the oven on the rack you placed 3 notches down from the broiler. Leave them there about 15-20 seconds until the cheese is melted, but be careful not to burn the pita bread.
- 9Chop or chiffonade the basil leaves and sprinkle them over the pizzas before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper Pita Pizzas
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.8
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 563.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g