Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This fabulous Pesto makes about 2 cup, enough sauce for 1 pound cooked pasta. Such a deep flavor and rich flavor. This is a treat for the tastebuds! I found this great recipe in the Cooks Illustrated "The Best Light Recipe" book. The pesto can be covered with a sheet of plastic wrap pressed flush against it's surface and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
- 4 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 (17 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (packed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Toast the garlic in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the color of the cloves deepens slightly, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the garlic to a plate to cool, then peel the cloves and mince.
- Process the garlic, peppers, parmesan, ricotta, shallot, parsley, thyme, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your choice of al-dente pasta!